Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Oatmeal butterscotch cookies

I was warming up dinner yesterday and bet myself that I couldn't make cookies from scratch before dinner was ready.  I ended up losing the bet, but came pretty close.  I was reheating frozen meat sauce and boiling water for pasta, so it wasn't a very complicated dinner, and I had already started it when this idea came to me.  I might try and make a habit of baking something whenever I'm making something simple for dinner.

I've had Nestle's butterscotch pieces in the cabinet for at least a year, and just haven't had cause to use them yet.  I would have followed the regular Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe adding butterscotch chips, but I had no regular chocolate chips.  Instead I used the Oatmeal Scotchies recipe printed on the package and made a few modifications.

The ingredients
The only oatmeal I had was leftover from the Oatmeal Raisin Cookies I made a few weeks ago.  It looked like it might be a cup and a half (if that) so I halved all the ingredients in the recipe.  It was a little tricky to eyeball 3/8 of a cup of sugar, but I wanted to have the cookies done quickly and didn't stop to measure more precisely.  

I didn't just cut the recipe in half, I also added two things: walnuts and cardamom.  I've been on a cardamom kick lately; I've added it to the recipe for the last two things I've baked.  I really added just a small pinch of cardamom, I didn't want to go overboard.




I mixed the butter, vanilla, and sugars with the whisk attachment, then added the dry ingredients.  First the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon, then chunkier ingredients later.  Because I cut the recipe in half, I only needed half the bag of butterscotch chips, but about 3/4s ended up in the batter.  Oh well.
Not enough room to mash





The walnuts needed to be broken up a bit, so I used a ramekin and a spoon as mortar and pestle.  Ramekin is a word I had never heard until I worked in a restaurant, but I don't know what I called them before I learned that word.  I guess if anything we called them custard cups.  I put too many walnuts in the ramekin here, they would overflow when I tried to mash them up.

I waited to preheat the oven until the cookies were ready to shape, otherwise the oven is ready way too early.  I don't know how much energy this wastes, but it makes me feel like an idiot when the oven beeps and I'm still assembling the ingredients.

Ready to shape


They took 2-3 minutes more to bake than the 8-10 minutes the recipe advised, and even then they were just beginning to brown around the edges.

The cookies are tasty and came out good considering how much scrounging I did for the ingredients.  They don't look much like the picture
Out of the oven

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Ana from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

    It's easy, fast and fun.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo for user of the world look your recipes.

    You are able to see your stats:

    -Number of visits to your blog from Fooduel.com.
    -Number of votes received every day
    -Number of votes received by each category
    -Number of votes for each grade (1-10)
    -Number of votes for each recipe.

    Look this example of one profile stats: http://fooduel.com/stats1.png

    We would love that you participate with some recipe.

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I saw Your blog and I thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite You to our new culinary website which has just started.

    This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from Your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

    For more please visit:
    http://tastyquery.com

    TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

    In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete